K4LST QTH Current WX

Monday, November 5, 2018

2018 Stone Mountain Hamfest



This past weekend was the 2018 Stone Mountain Hamfest and ARRL Section Convention.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I had never been to a hamfest before.  But this year I decided to go down and assist the Lanierland Amateur Radio Club in setting up our tables of donated equipment.  The hamfest took place at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds in Lawrenceville, GA...just a bit over an hour from my QTH.

I took Friday November 2nd off of work and went down just after lunch to start setting up.  To my surprise, as quick as we were unloading items and setting them on the table, someone would walk by and ask how much!  We actually sold a good bit of stuff on Friday.  I left and went home to see the XYL and to rest up for Saturday.

I woke up at 5:00AM on Saturday and drove down to the hamfest. I got to the gate about 6:30AM and went in to finish preparing.  There was a lot more going on than what I expected.  The "bone yard" seemed never-ending.  Sadly, I didn't purchase anything while at the hamfest. The LARC did sell almost all of our items though!  100% of the money will go to help our club!

All in all, it was a great hamfest and a great experience for me. I got to help our club, meet a lot of people, and spend time immersed in the hobby I love.  I hope to attend more hamfests in the future!

73 de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts