K4LST QTH Current WX

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Worked the Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - K8NY/MM

Just 3 days ago, I wrote about hearing but not getting the chance to make contact with XE1C/MM on his radio aboard the Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas.  Well after a pretty active day on the radio making some good contacts, I saw K8NY/MM spotted on a DX cluster.  I clicked the spot which tuned me over to the 40m frequency.  Bob was coming in 10dB over S9 calling CQ and trying to work Europe so I had to wait a while.  While listening, I heard him explain to the stations he was working that he too was aboard the Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas and they were northwest of Turks and Caicos.  In fact, he was using XE1C's station!  I was excited and waited for him to call general CQ.

Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas - World's largest cruise ship

Once he started working Stateside stations, he had quite a pileup.  I patiently called in turn and was starting to think that I was again going to miss the opportunity to work this cruise ship.  At one point, Bob called CQ but didn't reply to any of the stations calling him.  There was just a few minutes of people calling followed by nothing but silence.  I guess people gave up and moved on.  Then, from the silence again came a CQ call from K8NY/MM.  I went back to him and finally he picked up my call!  I was super excited to make this contact.  He gave me a good report and we had a short QSO, but I didn't want to keep him tied up since there were so many stations waiting to work him.

That's definitely one for the log! Now I just have to figure out how I can work ham radio the next time I'm on a cruise ship!  Video of QSO below!

73 de KG4LST sk

XE1C/MM station aboard Harmony of the Seas

Double Bazooka antenna on Harmony of the Seas


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts