K4LST QTH Current WX

Monday, April 23, 2018

Netflix's "Lost in Space" Features Ham Radio Gear

While my wife and I were binge watching Netflix's Lost in Space, I couldn't help but notice several references to radio.  I also think it was pretty cool that the character Will Robinson had a Yaesu FT-2980r VHF transceiver that he was using to try to reach his dad.  I have the same radio that I recently used to decode SSTV images from the International Space Station.

In this first season there is mention of a making a wire antenna, various radios, and Will even mentions that maybe the repeater isn't working when he can't get an answer from his dad...Though I'm not sure where the repeater would have been located while they were on an alien planet!

Regardless of the inaccuracies such as the missing microphone, sending CW with this VHF FM transceiver with a laughably small and inadequate antenna, etc...It is still great to see radio be a prominent part of the story line and critical to the survival of the characters.

It was also pretty cool to recognize one of the very same radios that I use featured in the show!

And all-in-all Lost in Space is a great show.  I definitely recommend watching it on Netflix!

73 de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts