K4LST QTH Current WX

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Random FT8 Marathon



Last Friday (March 30th) I was off work for a company holiday.  I didn't have anything to do so I ended up spending some time playing radio.  I decided to stick to the FT8 digital mode and had a lot of new experiences!

I started out on 15m then moved to 17m, 20m, and then worked 1 station (CA2CEV - Chile) on 10m.  That was the first digital contact on the 10m band for me!  That new mode/band excited me and got me to thinking about 30m.  At some point, I thought that I had tested the SWR on my Maxcon dipole on the 30m band and found it to be unusable.  I must have just dreamed that situation up because upon checking it again, I found it to be high but the FTDX1200's built-in tuner was able to tune it flat with ease!  So I started working 30m FT8.  There was plenty of activity since only digital modes are allowed on that band.

Since I worked 10m and 30m FT8 for the first time, I thought "why not try 6m?"  So I gave it a shot and worked another station in Georgia on 6m!  I think that was my first contact on 6m (other than the one time I used a 6m FM repeater)!

I bounced around those bands before moving to 40m and then 80m!  All-in-all, I worked 52 stations over 8 bands (6m, 10m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m, and 80m)! I even worked Turkey for the first time!

The countries I contacted included:
  • USA
  • Brazil
  • Argentina
  • Canary Islands
  • Netherlands
  • Slovenia
  • Italy
  • France
  • Chile
  • Puerto Rico
  • Mexico
  • Bolivia
  • Canada
  • Asiatic Russia
  • Turkey
The impromptu FT8 Marathon was a lot of fun and I also got enough stateside contacts to earn my QRZ United States Counties Award (100 Counties Mixed)  and the Grid Squared Mixed Digital endorsement!

73 de KG4LST sk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts