K4LST QTH Current WX

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Learning About DMR


TYT MD-2017GPS

I've been starting to learn a little about DMR.  I purchased a TYT MD-2017GPS and joined the DMR-MARC Network.  MARC stands for Motorola Amateur Radio Club and anyone can join regardless of their affiliation (or lack thereof) with Motorola.  Once you join MARC, you are issued an ID number.  That number gets programmed into your DMR radio, you program in local DMR repeaters, and you're off!


SharkRF OpenSpot





The challenge for me has been that there aren't many local DMR repeaters. It looks like I may have to get a Shark RF OpenSpot to remedy this.  It plugs into your internet connection and lets your DMR radio work through the internet.  They are a little on the pricey side, but I think it would a good addition to the shack and I could probably take it to work and at least monitor DMR there as well.




Another challenge has been learning about the Talk Groups.  How they work, if they are live all the time or PTT activated, and what's appropriate to do on each Talk Group.  I'm still not sure on that...

Brandon, KN4HDZ, also has a DMR rig.  We've learned that we can have a private QSO using our MARC ID number and can even send text messages!  We're starting to wonder if we even need cell phones!

I'm still learning but so far I prefer a good old analog QSO.  I'm fascinated by radio.  Digital voice with internet gateway linking starts to get away from my core interests though.

73 de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts