K4LST QTH Current WX

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Worked Wallis and Futuna Island - FW5JG

Right after making a few 160m FT8 contacts for the first time, I saw an interesting spot on the DX cluster.  FW5JG Wallis and Futuna Island was spotted on 17m phone.  I always get excited about new DX, but I wasn't hopeful on this because it was almost 10:00PM and 17m is pretty dead at that time.  I also don't have a directional antenna for 17m.  So with my Maxcon OCF3K80, I tuned to 18.158 mHz USB.  I listened for a few minutes (a lost art).  I made sure I was hearing the call correctly.  "FW5JG listening 5 up".  I set the transceiver for split and enabled the amplifier.  I gave many calls, but due to the large pile up didn't get an answer quickly.  After about 30 minutes, I finally got a return.  We exchanged our signal reports and said 73 and I logged it.  I was worried at first because QRZ showed nothing for the callsign FW5JG.  But no worries, it is now showing in QRZ!  At over 7,000 miles away on 17m close to 10:00PM with just a dipole, this was a great contact!

KG4LST to FW5JG

Wallis and Futuna is a French island collectivity in the South Pacific between Tuvalu to the northwest, Fiji to the southwest, Tonga to the southeast, Samoa to the east, and Tokelau to the northeast. Though both French and Polynesian, Wallis and Futuna is distinct from the entity known as French Polynesia.

73 and good DX de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts