K4LST QTH Current WX

Monday, October 22, 2018

Yaesu FT-2000D vs FTDX1200 For My Station



Over the weekend, I had the chance to play with a Yaesu FT-2000D HF rig.  The rig came from a SK and had been donated to a local club.  It was a complete system including the matching power supply and external speaker.  I was instantly attracted to it.  It felt reminiscent of my FT-950 from years past.  I was somewhat familiar with the controls and it was really a beautiful rig.

Part of our duties was to test the equipment and get it ready to be sold at the upcoming hamfest.  We connected everything, switched it on, and began enjoying the colorful display, true analog S meter, and smooth sounding DX coming through the speaker.  It really was a ham's dream rig.  So much so that I started to consider getting rid of my Yaesu FTDX1200 and measuring my operating desk to see if it could end up in my shack.

When I selected my FTDX1200, it was based on the fact that I had loved my FT-950.  The FT-950 was no longer available and the FTDX1200 was it's successor.  My rig is of good size, very capable, and an absolute joy to operate.  So why did I consider trading for the FT-2000D?  More importantly, why did I change my mind?

The FT-2000D is a 200w rig, while mine is only 100w.  I liked that it reminded me of my beloved FT-950.  I appreciated the fact that it was more buttons and knobs and less menus than other rigs.  Not to mention the beautiful stance when paired with the power supply and speaker.

As you can see, my list is NOT very extensive.  In fact, I actually would have lost the band scope that my FTDX1200 has (unless I shelled out more money for the DMU).  I think I just genuinely liked the rig, but would there have been any real measurable gain for me?  No.  The extra 100w would have been nice, but I tend to operate with an amp and only use 65w of drive from my transceiver.  When I operate FT8, I use 50w or less.  So really there was no justification for it in my case.

It was no doubt a beautiful rig and great to operate, but I just didn't see any value for me.  It will make someone a great radio.  I enjoyed getting the chance to play with it, and I'm thankful for the reminder of just how much I like my own radio.



73 de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts