K4LST QTH Current WX

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Serving as Activities Manager of an Amateur Radio Club



I'm not the most social person.  Even though I talk to many people around the world via ham radio, I consider myself a little bit of a loner with my radio hobby.  I have worked some contests, learned new modes, and much more all from the comforts of my shack and usually by myself.  For this reason, I was very reluctant to join an Amateur Radio Club.  I like the idea of having a club of like-minded people and being able to learn from, help, and support each other in our endeavors.  I like things like ARRL Field Day and portable operations.  But I again, searched for the value of joining a club vs just participating in club events.

One thing to consider is that these clubs may struggle to survive.  The events like Field Day are made possible by clubs.  They use their equipment, time, money, and energy to make these things possible.  Clubs provide and maintain the repeaters we use.  Clubs help promote our hobby of Amateur Radio and provide us with networks of people and resources.

So I joined the Lanierland Amateur Radio Club.  This club as been in operation for about 60 years.  It has gotten smaller over the years and has struggled to bring in new members and find interested parties to serve in the leadership roles.  Not only did I join the club, but the members of the club nominated and elected me as the Activities Manager for 2019.  Honestly, I was surprised. I was not prepared to take an officer position, but I will do my best to serve the club.  My best friend Brandon (KN4HDZ) has been elected President.  I hope that we will be able to serve the club well and start building it back up to it's former glory.

73 de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts