K4LST QTH Current WX

Monday, December 10, 2018

Worked Mauritius - 3B8FA


I had just arrived home for lunch when I received a text message from a good friend and fellow ham John (K4WCL).  He was at his "mountain house" in South Carolina and had found 3B8FA in Mauritius on 17m FT8 and he texted me to let me know that he had made the great contact.  When I finished my lunch, I went into my shack and settled in on the 17m band.  I waited a few cycles and then I saw the same station 3B8FA in Mauritius finishing a QSO.  I quickly clicked on the call sign and tried to make contact.  I got an answer!  I was given an RST of +3 and I returned an RST of +2.  Great signal reports considering the distance and I was only running 50watts into an OCF dipole!

At 9,860+ miles away from my QTH, Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean about 1,200 miles off the southeast coast of the African continent. The country includes the islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues and the outer islands of Agaléga and St. Brandon. The islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues form part of the Mascarene Islands, along with nearby Reunion island.

FUN FACT: I've worked Mauritius, Rodriques, St. Brandon, and Reunion Islands...but have yet to work Madagascar.

73 and good DX de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts