K4LST QTH Current WX

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

CQ WPX SSB 2018



I am not much for contesting. I like the concept, but I've never really buckled down and made a serious effort in a contest.  I do use the contests as a chance to develop my skills and make contacts with some new DX entities.

Last weekend (March 24-25) was the CQ WPX SSB contest. It apparently always falls in the last full weekend of March.  Since I was messing around in the shack, I casually operated for a little while and made about 20 contacts.  Of those, 3 were new countries for me!

During the CQ WPX SSB contest, operators exchange signal reports (what I call the fake 59) and a serial number (just sequential number of the QSO).  So a typical exchange would be:

(I hear) "DX Callsign QRZ."

(I say) "KG4LST"

(They say) "KG4LST you're 59 367"

(I say) "Thank you, you're 59 001."

Once the contest is over, you would convert your log to the cabrillo format and submit it for review. Though I didn't really compete, I do convert my logs and submit them just for the practice of how to do it!

Among the entities worked were:

  • New Zealand 
  • Brazil
  • Hawaii
  • South Cook Islands
  • Japan
  • Belize
  • Saba, St Eustatius
  • Costa Rica
  • Australia
  • Bonaire
  • Canary Islands
  • Turks and Caicos
  • Aruba
  • Morocco
  • Croatia
  • US Virgin Islands
  • Madeira Island 
Most of the contacts were on 20m, but New Zealand, Australia, and South Cook Island were on 15m.

Thanks for looking!

73 de KG4LST sk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts