K4LST QTH Current WX

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

New Truck...New Mobile Install

I got a new (to me) 2014 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew!  That means I had to get a mobile radio in it! 


For now, I decided to use my ICOM IC-2300H VHF radio.  The truck has a convenient little pocket that was just perfect for holding the radio and another one that holds the microphone.  At some point, I'd like to get a Yaesu FT-7900 dual-band rig, but for now this will do the trick!


I've got a friend at a local Police "upfitter".  They sell and install equipment for police and emergency vehicles.  So I decided to let them drill a hole in the roof and install an NMO mount.  I reused my Comet SBB-5NMO antenna from my previous vehicle.  It's just a little on the tall side to be on the roof, but since I already have it I'll give it a try. If I have issues, I'll try to find a shorter antenna.  The upfitters ran the power wires directly to the battery terminals with fuses on the positive and negative lead.  Since my hearing can be a little weird, I may later use one of my Uniden external speakers.


My friend Brandon (KN4HDZ) and his XYL have a Cricut machine.  They made the Joe Somebody (my youtube name) sticker as well as the Amateur Radio Tag below.


So that's the mobile rig for now.  Thanks for looking!

73 de KG4LST sk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts