K4LST QTH Current WX

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Early Morning Japanese Contacts on 30m

I very rarely get up early and get on the radio during the week.  I had some stuff happening at work early one morning and I had to go in before 5:30AM to do something minor and then I was back home by 6:00AM.  I decided to try a little FT8 while I drank my coffee before I had to go back to work at 8:00AM.  I heard John (K4WCL) talking about having some good DX contacts on 30m recently.  That got me to thinking about how long it had been since I had been on 30m and that I'm not sure if I had worked great DX on that band or not.

I tuned my radio over to the FT8 frequency on 30m, switched over to my Maxcon OCF dipole, and enabled my internal tuner.  I started decoding singals from Asia!  I started making my calls to the stations calling CQ from Japan.  Before I knew it, I had been sitting there for an hour and had worked 12 stations in Japan with just 50watts into the dipole!

I saw Masa (JE1LET) spotted on the DX cluster on 20m voice. So I moved over there, switched to my yagi, and switched on the amp.  Masa must have had his dual 6 element yagis pointed directly at my 3 element.  He was 59+10db and absolutely booming into North Georgia!  We had a pleasant QSO and then it was time to go QRT and get ready for work.  What a way to set the tone for the day!

KG4LST log snip
73 and good DX de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts