K4LST QTH Current WX

Friday, July 27, 2018

Worked Market Reef - OJ0C

I'm always on the hunt for a DXCC that I haven't previously worked.  Especially if I've never heard of it.  Well I believe this is one for the books (or the blog hi hi).  I saw OJ0C from Market Reef spotted on 20m SSB on the DX cluster.  I found the bearing and point my 3 element yagi at about 32 degrees and started to listen.  I heard at about 5 by 7 "OJ0C QRZ".  So I warmed the amp, and threw my call out.  OJ0C answered immediately giving me a 5 by 9 report!  I happily logged it and then looked for more information on the call sign and area.

From what I can tell, Market Reef is literally just a reef (or skerry) with a light house and few other buildings on it!



 A team of young radio amateurs will be on the air from Market Reef Lighthouse as OJ0C, from July 21 until July 28 and again from August 18 until August 25. The lighthouse is nearly at sea level, and waves have been known to cover the entire reef.

The young operators will be participating in daily workshops of safety and survival at sea in the remote lighthouse. In addition, they will become familiar with the latest digital modes and, most important, learning how operating the radio efficiently — providing OJ0C contacts and handling pileups.


73 and good DX de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts