K4LST QTH Current WX

Monday, July 2, 2018

Worked Baker Island 2018 DXpedition - KH1/KH7Z

I haven't been able to be on the air much lately...at least on the HF bands.  Last night I kept seeing Baker & Howland Island on the DX cluster.  They seemed to be running many station because they were working several bands and modes.  I could hear them on CW (but I don't know code), and could barely decode them on FT8.  I couldn't hear them at all on the few voice spots I saw.

Finally after checking all the spots, I found that I could hear them calling on 14.210mHz and listening 5kHz to 10kHz up.  I was getting some very heavy QRM from an overmodulated signal on 14.205.  I waited a while until the QRMing station stopped transmitting and then I can gave my call.  To my surprise, they answered on the first call!

After logging them, I started to worry that perhaps in the excitement I had not heard if my call was copied correctly.  However, today I checked their online Club Log and verified that I was in it!



Baker Island is an uninhabited atoll located just north of the equator in the central Pacific Ocean about 1,920 miles southwest of Honolulu. The island lies almost halfway between Hawaii and Australia. Its nearest neighbor is Howland Island, 42 mi to the north-northwest; both have been territories of the United States since 1857, though the United Kingdom considered them part of the British Empire between 1897 and 1936.

This DXpedition commemorates the 81st anniversary of Amelia Earhart's disappearance on July 2, 1937 near Baker & Howland islands -- as well as the commitment and sacrifices made by the Hui Panalā’au -- students from Hawaii who lived on Baker, Howland and Jarvis from 1935-1942. Read the full story HERE

73 and good DX de KG4LST sk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts